Vodacom Western Province flyhalf Willem de Waal will both be making his 100th Absa Currie Cup appearance this Saturday.
The WP pivot will earn his 100th cap in Kimberley when the current log-leaders take on the GWK Griquas on Saturday at 15h00.
De Waal made his debut for the Platinum Leopards back in July 2002 and represented the Potchefstroom side in 24 Absa Currie Cup games. He previously earned 60 caps for the Vodacom Free State Cheetahs before settling in with the Cape outfit where he will be making his 16th appearance on Saturday.
The WP flyhalf has accumulated 1287 points in his Absa Currie Cup career. He added 259 points for the Platinum Leopards, 811 for the Vodacom Free State Cheetahs, and since joining WP in 2008, has notched up 207.
De Waal has twice scored 212 points in a season, back in 2006 and 2007, for the Vodacom Free State Cheetahs.
Vodacom Western Province are the only undefeated team in this season's competition after four games. They will however have their hands full when they take on the GWK Griquas who are currently undefeated in Kimberley.
The GWK Griquas have already defeated the likes of The Sharks and the Xerox Lions in Kimberley and has also secured an away victory over the Platinum Leopards.
GWK Griquas' recent form at home:
• The hosts have recorded two home wins - over The Sharks (40-34) in week one and the Xerox Lions (26-20) in week three - in this year's Absa Currie Cup.
• The GWK Griquas had a mix season in terms of results in Kimberley during last year's competition. They recorded four wins and three defeats at GWK Park including victories over semi-finalists Vodacom Western Province and finalists Vodacom Free State Cheetahs.
• The Kimberley side however suffered home defeats against the Xerox Lions and the Vodacom Blue Bulls last year.
Vodacom Western Province's recent form on the road:
• The Cape side has secured two wins on the road during this season's competition against the Vodacom Free State Cheetahs (25-11) in week 1 and against the Platinum Leopards (42-23) in week three of the 2010 Absa Currie Cup. They also achieved three away victories against the Boland Kavaliers, Platinum Leopards and The Sharks in last year's Absa Currie Cup.
• In 2008, Vodacom Western Province recorded two wins on the road against the Boland Kavaliers and the Vodacom Free State Cheetahs.
• Vodacom WP flyhalf Willem de Waal will earn his 100th Absa Currie Cup cap on Saturday. He made his debut for the Platinum Leopards back in July 2002.
• The WP flyhalf has accumulated 1287 points in his Absa Currie Cup career. He added 259 points for the Platinum Leopards, 811 for the Vodacom Free State Cheetahs, and since joining WP in 2008, has notched up a further 207 points.
• De Waal has twice scored 212 points in a season, back in 2006 and 2007, for the Vodacom Free State Cheetahs.
• Vodacom WP's Gio Aplon who made his Test debut for the Springboks earlier this year previously represented the SA Sevens side from 2007 - 2009.
• WP flanker Rynardt Elstadt and flyhalf Lionel Cronje both represented the SA Under-20s during the 2009 IRB Junior World Championship in Japan.
• Vodacom Western Province centre Juan de Jongh and flanker Francois Louw both made their Test debuts for the Springboks this year.
• GWK flyhalf Naas Olivier has scored 604 points in his Absa Currie Cup career. The pivot has added 220 for Vodacom Western Province, 163 for the Platinum Leopards and 221 for his current side.
• Winger Bjorn Basson (GWK Griquas) made his international Test debut for the Springboks against Wales earlier this year.
• Lock Hendrik Roodt (GWK Griquas), who represented the NSW Waratahs during this year's Vodacom Super 14, represented the SA Schools in 2005.