The Vodacom Blue Bulls will be hoping that their recent form against Vodacom Western Province continues as they aim to secure their fourth victory of the 2010 Absa Currie Cup when these sides meet in South Africa's traditional north/south derby at Newlands on Saturday (17h05).
The defending champions have secured eight wins over Province in their last 12 matches which included a 21-19 semifinal victory over the hosts during last year's Absa Currie Cup semifinal played in Cape Town.
These sides played each other on six occasions at Newlands since 2005 with both teams achieving three wins during the last five years.
However, Vodacom Western Province have been the form team of the competition this year as they are currently the only undefeated side after five games. The hosts have conceded only 50 points which includes six tries at an average of 10 points per game and boast the best defensive record in the Absa Currie Cup.
WP, who are also in first position on the log, have scored the most points (203) in this season's competition and the most tries - 23 to date.
The Vodacom Blue Bulls on the other hand have conceded 130 points from their five Absa Currie Cup games in 2010, which include defeats against The Sharks (34-28) in Durban and the Vodacom Free State Cheetahs (25-23) at Loftus Versfeld in Pretoria.
Vodacom Western Province's recent form at home:
- The hosts are currently the only undefeated side in this year's competition and have secured victories over the Xerox Lions (32-0) and the Barloworld Toyota Pumas (54-13) in their only home games of the season thus far.
Vodacom WP conceded one home defeat (a 21-19 semifinal loss to the Vodacom Blue Bulls) during last year's Absa Currie Cup.
Vodacom Blue Bulls' recent form on the road:
- The defending champions secured one away victory over the Xerox Lions (32-18) in Johannesburg but also conceded one defeat on the road against The Sharks (34-28) in Week two of the 2010 Absa Currie Cup.
- The Vodacom Blue Bulls conceded four defeats on the road during last year's competition against Vodacom Western Province, Vodacom Free State Cheetahs, The Sharks and the Xerox Lions. The visitors though defeated WP in their 2009 Absa Currie Cup semifinal clash at Newlands.
- The Vodacom Blue Bulls defeated Vodacom Western Province (21-19) during last year's Absa Currie Cup semifinal clash at Newlands.
- Vodacom WP flyhalf Willem de Waal has accumulated 1295 points in his Absa Currie Cup career - 259 points for the Platinum Leopards, 811 for the Vodacom Free State Cheetahs, and since joining WP in 2008, has notched up 225.
- De Waal has twice scored 212 points in a season, back in 2006 and 2007, for the Vodacom Free State Cheetahs.
- Vodacom Blue Bulls winger John Mametsa has played 134 games for the Pretoria side since 2002. He has scored 41 Absa Currie Cup tries in his career for the Loftus Versfeld team.
- Gerrit-Jan van Velze captained the successful Vodacom Blue Bulls side who claimed the 2010 Vodacom Cup. He also previously captained the SA Under-20s in 2008.
- WP flanker Rynardt Elstadt and flyhalf Lionel Cronje both represented the SA Under-20s during the 2009 IRB Junior World Championship in Japan.
- Vodacom Blue Bulls loose forward CJ Stander captained the SA U20s during this year's IRB Junior World Championship in Argentina and was a member of the Baby Boks' squad of 2009 in Japan. He also captained the SA Schools team in 2008.
-Vodacom Blue Bulls reserve flyhalf Francois Brummer and winger Gerhard van den Heever both competed at the 2009 IRB Junior World Championship in Japan for the SA Under-20s.
- Vodacom WP scrumhalf Dewaldt Duvenage represented the Baby Boks during the 2008 IRB Junior World Championships.